Br. Edward G. LaMontagne, CSV, died Jan. 5, 1938 at the Tuberculosis Sanitarium in Chicago, just three days after professing his perpetual vows as a Viatorian. He was 22.
Br. LaMontagne was born Sept. 2, 1915 in Bourbonnais, considered at the time to be the cradle of the Viatorians in the United States. At a young age, he was placed under the charge of the Sisters of the Congregation of Notre-Dame of Montreal in Bourbonnais.
In 1930, he entered Fournier Institute in Lemont, where he led his class in schoolwork as well as in the athletics.
In his last year there, his mother, Mrs. Boudreau-LaMontagne, died. This had such a devastating effect on young LaMontagne that he completely changed. Then and there he resolved to dedicate himself entirely to the service of the holy Church.
At the age of 18, he entered the Viatorian novitiate in 1933 and professed his first vows one year later, on Sept. 8, 1934. The next two years were spent in study at St. Bernard Hall, the Viatorian Scholasticate.
In 1936, the Rev. J. Latour, provincial of the Viatorian Province of Montreal requested volunteers to work in Canada. Answering that call, Br. LaMontagne was sent to the College Saint-Joseph in Berthierville, Quebec to teach English.
Toward the end of a very busy year in Canada, Br. LaMontagne returned to Bourbonnais for a rest, since he was feeling unwell. After seeing a doctor, he learned that he had active tuberculosis and entered the Tuberculosis Sanitarium.
Br. LaMontagne lingered, and grew thinner and weaker. Yet on Jan. 2, 1938, he professed his perpetual vows. Suffering intensely at the end, yet fully conscious, he was entirely peaceful and resigned to the will of God.
A solemn high Mass was celebrated by the Rev. Walter J. Surprenant, CSV, pastor at Maternity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Church in Bourbonnais. Many confreres, friends and relatives accompanied Fr. LaMontagne’s body to the gravesite in the church cemetery, where the last absolution was given by the Rev. John P. O’Mahoney, CSV, provincial of the Viatorian Community.
Taken from the 1938 Annuaire, a publication of the Viatorian General Direction, pp. 121-125